Semen is produced like this:
- The testicles produce millions of sperm cells.
- The sperm cells ripen and are stored in the epididymides.
- When a man has an ejaculation, the sperm cells are pushed through the sperm ducts.
- The sperm cells are transported to the prostate and seminal vesicles. Fluid is added. Together the fluid and the sperm cells make up the semen.
- The semen is pushed out of the penis through the urethra.
When is a man fertile?
The man produces semen for the first time during puberty. In general a boy becomes fertile between the ages of 12 and 15. He can then have children. Even if he is having sexual intercourse for the first time.
The man produces sperm cells his entire life. He can often have children his entire life.